Ear infections are quite common, particularly in children, but adults can also be affected. Usually caused by bacteria or viruses, they can cause pain, inflammation, and fluid buildup in the middle ear. Despite the availability of many over-the-counter and prescription medications for treating ear infections, natural remedies can also be effective.
Natural Remedies for Ear Infection
These are some proven natural remedies for both adults and children with ear infections.
- Garlic oil: The antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties of garlic make it an effective natural remedy for ear infections. It is possible to make garlic oil by crushing a few cloves of garlic and mixing them with a carrier oil such as olive oil or coconut oil. Afterwards, the mixture can be gently heated and strained before being poured into the ear. An ear infection can be treated with garlic oil because it kills bacteria and reduces inflammation.
- Warm compress: In the case of an ear infection, a warm compress can relieve pain and discomfort. Additionally, it promotes healing and reduces inflammation. To create a warm compress, soak a clean cloth in warm water and wring out the excess water. Hold the cloth over the affected ear for several minutes. Whenever necessary, repeat.
- Tea tree oil: The antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties of tea tree oil make it another natural remedy. Tea tree oil can be used to treat ear infections when mixed with a carrier oil like coconut or olive oil. Take a cotton swab and dip it in the mixture. Apply it around the ear, but not inside it. Directly applying tea tree oil to the ear canal is not recommended.
- Apple cider vinegar: Among the many ailments that apple cider vinegar treats, ear infections are one. Take an equal amount of apple cider vinegar and water and soak a cotton ball in it. Take a cotton ball and squeeze out excess liquid before placing it over the affected ear. Be sure to leave it there for several minutes before removing it.
- Salt: Inflammation can be reduced by salt, which is a natural antibacterial. Heat some salt in the microwave or pan and pour it into a clean cloth or sock to treat ear infections naturally. Before placing the salt over the affected ear, let it cool down to a comfortable temperature.
Even though natural remedies can be effective for treating ear infections, they should not take the place of medical treatment. Seek medical attention immediately if you or your child are experiencing severe pain or other symptoms.
You can also reduce the risk of ear infections by taking preventative measures in addition to natural remedies. Among them are:
- Keep your hands clean by washing them often
- Do not smoke or expose yourself to secondhand smoke
- Don’t expose yourself to allergens that may cause congestion
- Avoid getting water in your ear canal by wearing earplugs or a swim cap while swimming
Ear Infection Home Remedies
Despite the uncomfortable and painful symptoms of ear infections, there are natural remedies available that can help. There are many natural remedies for ear infections that are effective for both adults and children, including garlic oil, warm compresses, tea tree oil, apple cider vinegar, and salt. It’s important to remember that these remedies are not substitutes for medical treatment. Medical attention should be sought if you or your child experience severe pain or other symptoms.