There’s nothing like creamed spinach to complement a steak, fish, or roasted vegetable meal. There are plenty of creamed spinach recipes out there, but our favorite one is delicious, easy, and nutritious.
With frozen spinach, cream cheese, and a few other simple ingredients, this recipe gives your meal a healthy boost of greens. It’s also ready in just 20 minutes, making it a great weeknight meal.
So without further ado, let’s get started with our favorite creamed spinach recipe.
Frozen Creamed Spinach
For this recipe, you’ll need the following ingredients:
- 2 packages (10 ounces each) of frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 4 tablespoons of butter
- 1/4 cup of diced onion
- 1/4 cup of all-purpose flour
- 1 cup of milk
- 4 ounces of cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 1/4 teaspoon of black pepper
Creamed Spinach Recipe with Cream Cheese
Once all of our ingredients are ready, let’s begin preparing our favorite frozen spinach creamed spinach recipe.
- Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the diced onion and cook for about 5 minutes, until it becomes soft and translucent.
- In the same skillet, add the flour and stir until it is fully combined with the butter and onion mixture.
- Pour in the milk slowly while stirring constantly to avoid lumps.
- Then add the cream cheese, garlic powder, salt, and black pepper and stir until the mixture is smooth and fully melted.
- Now, add the thawed and squeezed dry spinach to the skillet and stir until it’s fully coated with the cream cheese mixture.
- The spinach mixture should be cooked for another 5-7 minutes, or until it is heated through and the flavors are melded.
- The creamed spinach should be served hot and enjoyed!
Q: Can I use fresh spinach instead of frozen?
A: Yes, absolutely! You only need to cook the spinach until it is wilted, then squeeze out any excess moisture before adding it to the cream cheese mixture.
Q: Can I use different types of cheese instead of cream cheese?
A: It is our preference to use cream cheese in this recipe because of its creamy texture and a mild taste. However, you are certainly welcome to experiment with other types of cheese as well.
Q: Can I make this recipe ahead of time?
A: Creamed spinach can be made up to a day in advance and reheated on the stovetop or in the microwave before serving.
Recipe for Creamed Spinach
This creamy spinach recipe using frozen spinach is a delicious addition to any meal. This dish is nutrient-dense, delicious, and easy to prepare. This is also a great way to get your daily dose of greens in a creamy and flavorful way. Check out our favorite creamed spinach recipe with frozen spinach and see why we love it so much.