Chicken soup is a comfort food that is enjoyed all over the world. It is a warm, nourishing dish that can be made with a variety of ingredients to suit any taste. This classic recipe is easy to make and can be customized to suit your preferences.
Chicken Soup Recipe
- 1 whole chicken (about 4 pounds)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 8 cups of chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon of dried thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon of black pepper
- 1 cup of egg noodles
- Fresh parsley for garnish (optional)
- In a large pot, bring the chicken, onion, celery, carrots, garlic, chicken broth, thyme, bay leaves, salt, and pepper to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and let the soup simmer for about an hour, or until the chicken is fully cooked.
- Remove the chicken from the pot and let it cool.
- Discard the bay leaves and strain the broth to remove any solids.
- Shred the chicken meat and set it aside.
- In the same pot, bring the broth back to a boil and add the egg noodles.
- Cook the noodles for about 10 minutes, or until they are tender.
- Add the shredded chicken back to the pot and let it heat through for a few minutes.
- Serve the soup hot, garnished with fresh parsley if desired.
- For a heartier soup, add diced potatoes or a can of corn to the pot when you add the egg noodles.
- If you like a bit of spice, add a pinch of red pepper flakes or a diced jalapeno pepper to the pot when you add the broth.
- For a creamier soup, stir in a cup of heavy cream or a handful of grated Parmesan cheese just before serving.
- Use a high-quality chicken broth for the best flavor. You can use store-bought or make your own by simmering the bones of the chicken with vegetables and herbs.
- Don’t overcook the noodles, as they will continue to absorb liquid as they sit in the soup.
- The soup can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to five days, or in the freezer for up to three months.
Conclusion: Chicken soup is a classic dish that is easy to make and customizable to your tastes. With this simple recipe, you can enjoy a warm, comforting bowl of soup in no time. Whether you’re feeling under the weather or just looking for a comforting meal, this chicken soup recipe is sure to hit the spot.